Getting the food right when you’re hungover is essential. After a heavy night of drinking a few too many, there’s nothing better than a plate of comforting goodness. It’s tempting to pick up the phone and call your nearest takeaway if you’re lucky enough to have some with vegan options, but when that comforting goodness is really quick and easy to make there really is no need to spend the extra money. So grab your favourite movie and snuggle up on the sofa with one of these delicious quick and easy hangover meals! All super simple and relatively low cost.
I promise you this one is better than the real deal! Fooled pork in a burger bun – succulent and sweet, this burger is a delicious lunch or dinner time treat for those who love BBQ sauce. Teaming it with some salted potato wedges makes for the perfect combination.
- 2 cans young green jackfruit in water (NOT in syrup or brine)
- BBQ seasoning (2 Tbsp brown sugar + 1 tsp paprika + 1 tsp garlic powder + 1/2 tsp salt + 1/2 tsp pepper + 1/2 tsp chili powder)
- Liquid smoke
- Vegan Beer (optional)
- BBQ sauce (ensure it’s vegan) + more for topping
- Burger buns
- Slice your sweet potato into chip shaped slices. Toss them in oil and spread on a baking tray, sprinkle with salt and into the oven for 30-35 mins depending on how crispy you want them!
- Rinse, drain, and thoroughly dry jackfruit. Chop off the centre “core” portion of the fruit (can go to the compost). Place in a mixing bowl and set aside.
- Mix together BBQ seasoning and add to jackfruit. Mix it all up so it’s all coated.
- Heat a large pan over medium heat. Once hot, add 1-2 Tbsp of oil and the seasoned jackfruit. Stir and cook for 2-3 minutes to achieve some colour.
- Add BBQ sauce and thin with enough water to make a sauce. Stir and reduce heat to low- medium and cook for about 20 minutes (up to 35 minutes on low for a deeper flavor).
- Remove lid and stir occasionally.
- TIP: For the “pulled” texture, use two forks to shred the jackfruit as it cooks down
- Once the jackfruit has been properly simmered, turn up heat to medium-high and cook for 2-3 more minutes to get a little extra colour/texture. Then remove from heat.
- Pop it in a bun and serve with extra bbq sauce and salted peanuts.
- Your favourite vegan sausages
- Baked beans
- Nutritional Yeast
- Cook the sausages and hashbrowns in the oven (use instructions on packaging for timings).
- For the mushrooms- slice and fry with garlic and olive oil – set aside under the grill with the tomatoes to keep warm on a low heat.
- In small bowl mix Nutritional yeast, Turmeric, cumin, paprika, water, salt and pepper.
- Spray frying pan with oil and turn on medium heat. Once hot add the spring onion and garlic, fry for about 2 mins.
- Crumble in the tofu using your fingers. Pour over the seasoning and mix. Cook for around 2 mins, make sure hot through. Toss with parsley and stir in for around a minute.
- Heat the beans
- Serve it all up onto a plate and dig in
Avocado makes such a yummy pasta sauce. This recipe couldn’t be more quick and easy, and is not only really tasty is full of goodness to help you get back on the road to recovery. The avocado is really creamy without being heavy and the addition of the tomatoes and basil and lemon seasoning makes for a really fresh taste.
- Pasta of your choice
- Lemon, juiced and zested
- Lime, juice
- A small bunch of basil
- A handful of cherry tomatoes
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Cook your pasta according to package instructions.
- Meanwhile, add avocados, lime and lemon juice, garlic, fresh basil, salt, and pepper to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Combine avocado sauce with the pasta and voila!
Pancakes are such a delicious, indulgent treat for hangover brunches and are the perfect base for all your favourite toppings. From fruit and yogurt to vegan chocolate spreads and syrups – whatever you love, vegan pancakes should sufficiently suffice your sugar cravings and make your day a little bit more bearable. Plus they are really really easy to make.
- Baking powder
- Soy milk
- Vegetable oil
- Turn on hob to medium heat.
- Combine the 4 dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder — TWO Tablespoons, salt) in a bowl.
- Add the soy milk and vegetable oil to your mixture.
- Mix until smooth.
- Pan should now be hot, so spoon one pancakes’ worth of the mixture into the pan – a ladle may come in handy here.
- Flip like a pro – or with a spatula if you’re scared – when you see bubbles in the middle of the pancake, or if the edges are looking stiffened.
- Repeat for all the batter and make a pancake pile up.
- Serve with maple syrup and bananas
#5: Easy Vegan Pizza
Nothing beats a full on carb load in the form of pizza. If you’re hungover, and you can’t be bothered to faff around with dough use a vegan-friendly base (milk-free) such as Napolina; JusRol; M&S pizza base; Sainsbury’s Stonebaked
- Pizza topping from a jar – or use a tomato-based pasta sauce or some tomato puree.
- 3 medium mushrooms, sliced
- ½ small red pepper sliced
- Other veg, e.g: sweetcorn, olives, tinned artichoke hearts cut in half, sundried tomatoes; thinly-sliced onions
- Olive oil
- 3 tbsp grated melting vegan ‘cheese’ such as Violife or Mozzarisella (Mozzarisella is the one Zizzi use and it’s amazing)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- To make, pre heat oven to around 190, slice your veggies
- Spread pizza base with topping, olive oil, veggies and cheese on top
- Bake for 10-15 mins until veggies are tender and cheese has melted.
We hope this compilation of delicious hangover recipes helps make things a little better!
What are your favourite vegan hangover meals? We’d love to see them. Tag us in your pictures on instagram @revival.collective or tweet us your favourite recipes @revival_collect